Why in news?
1. The Gandhi Peace Prize for the years 2015,2016,2017 and 2018 has been conferred on the following:
2. Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari for the year 2015 for their contribution in Rural Development, Education , Development of natural resources.
3. For 2016 jointly to Akshaya Patra Foundation for its contribution in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India and Sulabh International for its contribution in improving the condition of sanitation in India and emancipation of manual scavengers.
4. Ekal Abhiyan Trust for the year 2017 for their contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender and Social Equality
5. Shri Yohei Sasakawa for the year 2018 for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
6. The jury under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister and comprising the Chief Justice of India, Speaker of LokSabha, Leader of the single largest Opposition Party in Lok Sabha and Member of Parliament L.K. Advani after detailed discussions on 16 th January, 2019 unanimously decided to select the above organisation/persons in recognition to their outstanding contributions in the fields mentioned above.
7. The annual award was instituted by the Government of India in 1995 during the commemoration of 125thBirth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The award carries an amount of Rs 1 Crore, a Citation in a scroll, a plaque as well as an exquisite traditional handicraft/handloom item.
8. The President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Gandhi Peace Prize for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
9. As a tribute to the ideals espoused by Gandhi, the Government of India launched the International Gandhi Peace Prize in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mohandas Gandhi.
10. This is an annual award given to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
(Awards/Recognition)(Source: -Press information bureau)
Pic courtesy:Mathrubhumi English
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
© Powered By Current Hunt, Designed & Developed By Quizsolver.com
This function has been disabled for Current Hunt.